Sunday, February 11, 2018

Japanese Landscape: Third of a triptych

Before I go wandering off down other pathways, let me show you the third in the intaglio series I call Japanese landscapes.





At the end of my printmaking classes, I was still working on this acid etching in a series of three.  I only managed to finish a few of this one with the parent and child. 

    I did a couple with  the "chine colle´" technique  (a piece of Japanese paper glued to the receiving page) as the one below.   

 Again , I tried out my Chinese "chop" that I had hand carved in soapstone by Feng Zhuo, an engraver who boasts to be from Confucius' hometown.  His email is ideasforlife@foxmail.com and his ETSY ID is  Chineseseal. 


One of these stone seals says "pervasive moonlight".   The other has my name spelled phonetically.  

4 comments:

  1. Mary, On the third Japanese one, I like this version better than the earlier ones with such a dark solid background. This reads as a sky, which I like. In spite of the figures being a bit too centered for my taste, it works. I like the child addition.
    NOW, I have something I must say. I have a personal dislike of the Japanese chopmark unless it is used by a real Japanese. Esthetically, to me, it also brings the attention way too much to it instead of on the subject of the picture. So I have a problem with them even if used by a Japanese. Oh yeah, I know it is a cultural thing, but I just don't care for it. And for a non-Japanese to use them, it seems a bit dishonest. Sorry. That being said with my blunt Saggitarious personality, it is your choice, not mine. Keep them coming.

    Iris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I welcome your input and love the subject you have raised. I always have been intrigued with artist's use of the "remarque" or symbol instead of their name. I will do a post about it when I get time. But whether we are welcome to use a Chinese seal is up for grabs. I think it would be interesting to ask some Chinese people how they feel about it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mary,

    I came across your website when I was trying to locate a picture of a work we saw at the Maeght Foundation in 2011. It was called "Lawrence of Arabia", which I noticed is mention on your page about the Erik Dietman collection. Would you happen to have a picture of Lawrence of Arabia?

    Kind regards,

    Jean-Michel Malek
    Houston, texas

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Jean-MIchel,

    Thank you for seeking me out. I know that this entry you speak of was originally posted on my other blog, marympayne.blogspot.fr in 1911. (And just for the record, I have responded directly to Jean-Michel) You are welcome to use my photos of the exhibition. Unfortunately, the sculpture that you and your wife noticed never came to my attention ( the rock with the Keffiyeh headdress). I only posted the painting called "Lawrence of ARabia Writes Home". I love Dietman though and his sense of irony and humor as you obviously do as well.

    ReplyDelete